20 September 2011

Comics and Kimonos Part 2

Part one covered my love for anime, this part will cover second type of art: manga, which I'm kind fond of these days. I have always wanted to have quite big collection of manga in my bookshelf, but in a long run it takes quite a lot of money, and waiting for new is always something I curse (publishers deadlines for upcoming releases etc.). I had over 100 mangas, but now I may have less; got rid of finnish releases which I bought few years back because they were too easy to get and little cheap and I have gotten used to reading english translated comics basicly. And there are so many odd translations if compared to original text, or they just don't fit in at all.

At this moment I should have nearly the amount of copies of manga I had back then (or slighty over). And more is coming as I'm writing this.

Like with anime, I do have favourites among manga. The most liked series are Berserk and Claymore (their anime counterparts are nothing like them). Many of those who have read them at least one book or few pages, knows that these are very much alike. Blood, Gore, Horror and little thrill, big swords and bigger enemies. And the characters get in real troubles, not like in mangas for teenagers, where characters just hit in the head and keep saying "get stronger" or whatnot.

Other series I have which I like too are Fairy Tail, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Togari and Dragon Sisters! Well, after 20 volumes of Samurai Deeper Kyo, the story is just barely keeping up. Substory after substory, event after event they just keep adding more of these, never really explaining why and how. First 5-6 volumes were just fine with everybody looking out if Kyo, the main character might have been the guy who slaughtered hundreds or people at some point, but now it's more like their friendship...why?
Fairy Tail in this manner is handled little different and little better to my opinion, even if it relies more and more to some class as Dragon Ball with character development. As I am little fan with Koei's games, Dragon Sisters! rely on the story of The Three Kingdoms (with little twist) is quite funny, but yet again, I haven't read much to tell more about it. Same with Togari.

Artwork is pretty stunning - beware of the revealing stuff though
There is one another awesome serie, in anime and manga: Highschool of the Dead. Schoolgirls with...*ahem*, guns and zombies, you can't go wrong. And the art style, just breath taking to my opinion. Anime with same art style speeks for the serie itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment